Tuesday, July 27, 2010

back to basics

So yesterday I started a new workout regime. Rippetoe's Starting Strength training program, designed for lifting and bodybuilding noobs - focusing on several central exercises - squats, bench, dead-lifts and pull-ups. Seems quite simple, no real isolation exercises and generally, the workout is done in less than 45 minutes. But here's the lesson I've learnt progressively at the gym. Its not about the weight, its all about form. Its not about the intensity, but the intention.

I had a strange encounter this morning. Woken up by my beautiful girlfriend calling to say good morning, I lay in bed, 5:45am, trying to get back to sleep for an extra hour. In that moment there was a strange resounding in my spirit - How great is our God, My heart will sing, How great is our God. What felt like only a few moments later I entered a strange ... trance ... if you want to call it that (sounds like drugs lol). I felt the invisible yet very tangible presence of God enter my room, sit by my bed as I lay and touch me saying, "I'm proud of you son". Just like that, it was gone.

I thought it was a dream but I was wide awake. But the past two days have shown me this - get the basics right. You can't do crazy isolation dumbbell curls unless your core strength and supporting muscles are strong enough to allow you to do so. In the same way, how can we as people of faith do anything without living in and acknowledging the presence of God? It is the most fundamental and foundational aspects of our faith. We can't teach, we can't preach, we can't evangelise and we most certainly cannot lead without knowing His presence.

Off to work.



"You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." - Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment